Thursday, April 19, 2012

Homemade Tortillas II


I am a tortilla snob. I really like good tortillas. Usually I buy the kind you can get at Costco that aren't cooked yet, because freshly made tortillas are just the best. Warm and perfect! But those are a bit pricey, so I decided to try making homemade tortillas again, but didn't want to use my old recipe with shortening. This recipe uses olive oil instead, and is the simplest, easiest, quickest way I've found so far to make these babies. Oh, and they taste perfect, by the way!  We've been making these at least once a week lately. Mmmm!


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used fine sea salt)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil


  1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil with wooden spoon. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth (not sticky!) dough. (Instead of kneading it on the counter, I've also kneaded it in my kitchen aid mixmaster, with the kneading attachment.) Let rest for 10 minutes.
  2. Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle. (I rolled them out into funny looking shapes, but then put a large plastic plate over the dough and cut a circle around the funny edges. It made for very pretty tortillas! If you do this, you may want to just divide the dough into 6 or so portions, since you'll have leftovers to roll out at the end.)
  3. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm. (I keep them in the warm oven until ready to serve.)


No comments: