Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cloud 9 Rolls

These rolls are a delicious tradition in my family. A family friend gave my mom the recipe years ago, and we love it. Pictured is a pan of rolls before they were baked. They go so fast I figured that would be the best time to snap a photo, before they disappeared!

  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 cube butter or baking margarine
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 heaping Tablespoon yeast
  • 5 cups of flour, plus
  • Extra butter, if desired

Pour boiling water into mixing bowl. Add butter; melt. Add eggs and beat to death. Add salt, sugar, yeast and 4 cups of flour. Add fifth cup and additional flour as needed. Mix for 8-10 minutes in bread mixer or knead by hand. Place in fridge overnight. Next morning, divide dough in half. Roll out like pie dough in a circle, thin, with extra flour used to keep from sticking. Spread extra butter over dough if desired. Cut into 16 triangles. Start rolling from wide side to form crescent. Place on ungreased baking pan, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let raise for 4 hours. Bake 325 for 12-15 minutes.

*Note: You can force-raise these to make it go faster. I usually will make the dough, cover and stick in a warm oven until double; after rolling out and covering I'll put them in a warm oven just barely turned off with a shallow pan of boiling water on the bottom rack until they look sufficiently fluffy and risen.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I can vouch for these rolls. They are GOOD! Thanks for posting.

Karen K. said...

Too funny. I knew immediately which rolls these are. We all make them too. I started scanning the recipe to see if "beat to death" was in there. I wasn't disappointed! I LOVE these rolls. Easy peasy, fast and yummy.

Francisco J. Darquea said...

My all time favorite rolls as well - I made them for Francisco's family one Thanksgiving and they were so impressed!
A lot of work (in my opinion) but so worth it!
-Ema