Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Peanut Butter No-Bakes

Dressed up with melted chocolate drizzles

I have a major thing for no-bake cookies. Shaun thinks it's disturbing--he says that since I am able to make good baked cookies, there's no reason for me to make these things. I beg to differ. I love the traditional chocolate no-bakes, and always will, but sometimes I need a change, and this is a really good change. I thought these tasted like the insides of Reese's peanut butter cups, but with more texture (since I used chunky peanut butter, and they have oats). In other words, these are delicious, and perhaps, maybe even nutritious? (I know, sugar and butter are not nutritious, but oats and peanut butter are!) But really, these are awesome. I made a half batch, and they only lasted 2 days. Yes, they are scary good!
I found this recipe through Pinterest. Here is the source. I was a bit scant with the sugar and a bit generous with the peanut butter, milk (skim) and oats (old fashioned recommended, but I used quick oats and just measured heaping cups...apparently others have had problems with these being too gooey when they use quick oats though, so just be aware of that!) Generally I think no-bakes are pretty forgiving though. I hope you love these as much as I did! 

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups rolled oats (old fashioned recommended)


DIRECTIONS:

  1. In a large saucepan, mix sugar, butter and milk; bring to a full, rolling boil over med heat. (large bubbles rising to surface that can't be stirred down).
  2. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. 
  3. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until peanut butter is melted; stir in oats.
  4. Working quickly, drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper or foil to cool and harden.


No comments: