Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Potato Cheese Chowder

In the past, I have posted recipes here that I tried once and thought they were fantastic, only to go back and try them again, thinking, this isn't what I made the first time!

Here is a recipe that is from my Mom. The recipe is very forgiving, which is nice. It is one of my favorite comfort foods. I make it at least once every two weeks during the winter, and since my husband doesn't really love anything that doesn't have meat in it, I end up eating basically all of it! Great for dinner and then great as leftover lunches!

Potato Cheese Chowder

2 cups chopped potatoes (about 2-3)
1/2 cup carrots (about one large or 2 small)
1/2 cup celery (about one stalk)
1 small onion chopped, or 1/4 cup onion chopped if you're not an onion lover like me
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups water, just so it barely submerges all the veggies

Bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer about 15-20 minutes, until carrots and celery are tender. When the veggies are tender, let the mixture cool slightly. Pour contents in a blender and blend until desired consistency. I like most of it pureed, with a few little chunks left over. My Mom doesn't like to blend the vegetables. She likes the chunks of veggies, so you'll have to decide what you prefer. I am of the belief that pureed is the only way to fly.

Meanwhile, in another pan:

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk (you'll want it to be 1 percent or more so the sauce will thicken)
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I really stuff the cheese in those cups!)

Melt 1/4 cup butter and add 1/4 cup flour. Whisk together. Whisk in 2 cups milk and stir constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and add 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.

Combine the cheese sauce with the pureed vegetables. Serve with some tasty bread, and enjoy!

1 comment:

Lanette said...

Kimmy, YUM! This sounds amazing, and I love that it has real cheese! I'm picky about my cheesy soups =) Thank you so much for posting it!